I've suffered from severe atopic eczema since I was 12. I am 26 this year so for over 10 years I have suffered with this incurable condition.
Up until I went to see a skin specialist in 2008 my eczema controlled me. Even though I still have terrible flare ups, I now like to think I control my eczema.
Throughout the years I was back and forth at the doctors, prescribed various anti allergy tablets, creams and ointments. I was never referred to see a skin specialist, they just tried me on different lotions and potions!
They never worked, in fact my eczema got worse over the years. It got so bad that my weeping skin would stick to the bed sheets. I couldn't get dressed because my night clothes were stuck to my raw skin.
I didn't know how to manage it, I didn't know what else to do. I knew there was (and still isn't) a cure. I had an idea what my triggers were, things that set my eczema off. But I was just so confused as to what to do! Everything I'd tried hadn't worked. Turns out there is a LOT of things that trigger my eczema off. Here are the main ones.
Temperature: If it's too cold my skin dries out and goes cracked and sore. If it's too hot I get sweat rashes and heat lumps. Central heating does this to my skin too.
Lotions and potions: I can't use anything in my bath, to wash with, bubbles, scented washing powder, perfume, body lotion, basically anything you put on your body. I have to use the prescribed stuff. I can't even use E45 or the 'sensitive' stuff. I imagine there is a potion out there that I can use but I'm yet to find it.
Animal fur: Rabbits, cats, you name it they make me flare up. Even if you put your cat/dog outside when I visit your house I still have a massive flare up because of the fur around the house. Luckily we have a Jackapoo who is hypo-allergenic but if I cuddle him too much I can have flare ups.
Stress: I am a born worrier and stress head. I can't help it. I've tried so hard to be laid back because stress is one of my main eczema triggers but I can't help it.
Eczema affects my ankles, calves, back of my knees, bum, tummy, wrists, hands, inner arms, boobs, neck back and front, lower back, eyes and face. Pretty much everywhere!
Christmas Eve 2008 my life changed. After tumbling into the doctors, still in my pyjamas, weeping red raw skin, I begged the doctor to do something. Various doctors looked at my skin and decided to refer me to a skin specialist. Why did it take this long?!!!
They said there was a waiting list, I was devastated. My luck changed and I received a phone call to say there had been a cancellation on Christmas Eve.
Once at the skin specialists I poured my heart out. I finally felt like someone was listening to me! She put me on a course of new creams and promised me if they didn't work I would have light therapy. I saw hope!
Roll on 6 years and, with the odd tweak to my ointments I am using the same creams the skin specialist prescribed me. I never had to go for light therapy.
I still have the worse days, days where I don't want to leave the house. I envy those that can have a shower, dry and be off out of the house in less than an hour. I have to soak my skin in my prescribed lotions and then dry properly and then apply a steroid and then a moisturiser. I am left greasy and shiny and I know it does my skin the world of good but as a woman it doesn't make me feel nice especially if I've planned an evening out.
Some people don't understand how eczema affects me, I cancel outings because my skin hurts or it makes me feel sad.
But over the years I've started to control my eczema and I've learnt to live with it! It's part of who I am and now..I accept that!
Thanks for reading!
I had eczema when I was younger and the temperature would really affect it. Luckily I grew out of it because it really is so uncomfortable. I think I have a bit around my eyes at the moment though. So itchy and uncomfortable, waiting for it to pass :(
ReplyDeletex
It is so rubbish ain't it! I'm glad you grew out of it, it really is a pain + can affect day to day life! Hopefully it passes, itchy eyes are the worst! xx
ReplyDelete