Pages

Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Baby Classes

  As a new first time mum I felt immense pressure to go to baby classes. In the early days when Jack was 6 weeks old the HV and a lady from the children's centre visited me with a pile of leaflets on the local baby classes. Go to baby classes? I hadn't even contemplated getting out of my pyjamas nevermind venturing out with our brand new baby.

  Each visit that I had from the HV or weaning nurse or a lady from the local children's centre came with the question "have you been out yet?" It made me feel as if I should be out there. Was I depriving Jack of social interaction? When I started panicking the HV said to me "all the interaction Jack needs is off you right now". So why did I feel pressured to go out?

I'm new to the area, I don't know anyone and I haven't passed my driving test yet so that in itself brought difficulties. After reading the local children's magazine I discovered that the majority of classes started at 9.30. Jack was usually having a nap at this time and I didn't want to upset him for the sake of half an hour baby class. Not only that but what new mum can get ready and out for that time, especially if you have to use public transport!

  Roll on to new year and I sat down and had a proper look at what classes I could go to. I worked out times, bus routes, location of the class etc I circled everything I considered a possibility.

  After much thought I came across a class called Jo Jingles. The class was close to my bus route, I didn't have to walk far once off the bus and it didn't take too long on the bus. The one thing that sold me was the class start time which is 1130. Perfect for Jack and I. The 1130 class is specifically for babies only which I loved, there's nothing worse than your 5 month old baby scared to death by a screaming toddler, all rough and tumble. They provide classes for children upto 5 years old but separate classes according to age.

  So what is Jo Jingles? Jo Jingles is a fabulous singing and dancing sensory class. Each week has a theme so there is lots of variety, along with repeat songs that we sing each week. Babies love repetition and it gives us mums chance to learn the words!

  Today was my third time and it was just as good as the first time. Jo, the leader is amazing! She makes you feel so welcome and I'd say she is one of the main reasons I went back after my nerve wracking first time. The program she designs for the children is excellent! She introduces lots of songs that you and baby can dance and enjoy together and there are lots of sensory toys that baby can have a go at.

  The class lasts just over half an hour and at the moment the first 4 weeks are free. I've yet to find out how much the class is after my 4 free weeks but I'm pretty sure it isn't too much! You pay £2.75 for insurance which is for a full term, can't grumble at that!

  My first time was very nerve wracking as there were mums there that had been going for awhile and had already developed friendships. It was like starting a new school! There was nothing to worry about, all the mums are lovely and as I said before Jo, is a fantastic leader! Our group is only small, about 7 of us but there is room for plenty more!

 Jack really enjoys Jo Jingles. He isn't as mobile as the other babies just yet but he sits there taking it all in and smiling. He looks at all the other babies and each week he discovers and learns something new! I feel so proud of myself that I took the leap and took him. 

  If you are worried about going to a baby class then fear not! You are not on your own! It is not a must to go to a baby class but if you do feel like joining one then check out Jo Jingles. They have classes all over the country and I promise that you won't regret it!

*This isn't a sponsored post. I simply wanted to share my experience of a baby class, Jo Jingles.

*Image sourced from Jo Jingles.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I need to take Alfie to one really, he would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he would hun! You should definitely give them a go! xx

    ReplyDelete