Pages

Thursday, 24 October 2013

Jack's First Injections

  So today was the day I'd been dreading for awhile as any new mummy would. I knew it would be tough so James took the day off to come with us. I am so glad he did. Hats off to single mothers who have no support-I never forget how blessed I am to have James, not just as a partner but as a father to Jack too.

  Before the injections I had to have my post-natal check which is basically just a run through of questions to make sure you are feeling alright and things are going well. I was also booked in for my MMR vaccination, some mothers are already immune but I wasn't. Jack had a full head to toe check and was measured and weighed-all perfect thank god! He now weighs 11lb 4oz at 9 weeks old which is great! It makes me feel so good as a parent to know that our boy is doing so well.

 The nurse asks you to strip baby down to their vest and nappy-the injections is one in each thigh at the same time!! He also had an oral dosage which went down fine. I asked James to hold Jack as it were done because I knew I wouldn't have coped. One of the nurses we had throughout our checks was a trainee nurse, we were asked if we minded and we said no. We also had a trainee midwife during my induction. Some parents are not so keen which is fair enough but they have to learn sometime and they never did any of the important bits.

 So on the count of 3 both nurses jabbed our tiny, gorgeous baby boy. I stood there holding my hands to my face crying! James was so brave and didn't flinch. As for Jack, well he screamed the place down and cried so hard. My heart broke into a million pieces. I knew it was for the best and yes I know the other option is much worse but it definitely pulled at my heart strings. His little thighs were bleeding and there was blood on his vest-heartbreaking!

  We were given Calpol and was told to give him half a teaspoon which we did and it soothed him. The 3 of us have spent the day out, we didn't get home till about 6pm after being out of the house for 9am. It helped Jack because he settles well in the car and when being pushed in his pram. I think the fresh air has done him some good too but to be honest he has been quite unsettled. Touch wood he hasn't had a fever or bad nappies but tomorrow is a new day! He has been off his milk a little but we are not too worried. Since being home he has had a huge sleep but we are going to wake him up soon, give him his last bottle and get him settled in his carry cot.

  If any new mummy has any questions on their baby's first vaccinations and what to expect then feel free to get in touch!

Jax xx

No comments:

Post a Comment